Friday, September 30, 2011

A Personal Critique of my DC Presentation

Understanding the message I wanted to convey to the audience was key in organizing the presentation for my speech of: “what knowledge I gained from our DC trip, that I thought was valuable enough to share with the class.”  When I walked into the GHM I saw so much volume that cried out for drama.  The unique architecture at the GHM called for something equally dramatic.  I knew what I was looking for in DC, and I recognized it when I fond it at the Arthur M. Sacker Gallery.

Walking into the monumental space at the Arthur M. Sacker Gallery I saw a symphony created among spatial relationships.  The materials and architecture blended as one with a crescendo from Xu Bing’s “Monkey’s Grasp for the Moon” sculptured artwork.  Suspended 4 stories from the skylights above to the reflecting pool below, and centered within the geometric staircase, “Monkey’s Grasp for the Moon” draws the viewer in for a long, lasting gaze.  Soaking up the drama, the viewer takes the experience with them to reflect upon in years to come.


I knew what I wanted to discuss with my presentation, and I knew what subject I wanted to direct my focus.  I just needed to search for the right picture, which would serve the experience justice.  In taking the time to really admire the piece, I captured the images from various angles.  I found the right one, made adjustments in Photoshop for increase contrast, and cropping to the size appropriately, so the image was equally matched with the subject matter. 

In preparing to write a speech for my presentation, the words flowed freely when I looked upon the image.   I recalled the experience, the emotion I drew from the space.  I wanted to combine key points from our reading of Rengel’s “Shaping Interior Space” putting the presentation in context of our class work.  My speech was not very long, but focused.  I search for the right adjectives, which complimented the image.  

I did not visit the Speech Center, although I would have liked to, but the two-day restriction they require of your first visit prior to your presentation, just did not fit into my schedule. In balancing two studios, with two deadlines for the same day, I had to fit in this assignment where I could.  As it turned out, that timeslot was 10:30 pm the night before, with rehearsal in front of the ladies room mirror at 7:30 am until 9:00 am. 

Normally, I have no trouble speaking in front of a group of people, in whatever subject is on my mind, but in this case, I felt my performance was on up to my usual standard for several reasons.   I made the mistake of trying to memorize the speech, as I once did with the declaration of independence in 3rd grade, where I can still recite to this day, but my memorizing skills are not what they use to be.  I should have just had bullets of notes highlighting the points I wanted to make, and not been so rigid in the use of the appropriate adjectives, as I do in my writing.  Having had very little sleep the night before, when I stumbled to remember the next phrase, I paused, trying desperately not to say; “uhm.” I turned to the page, and read the rest.  I knew what I wanted to say, I should have never tried to memorized a speech, but rather look upon the image and spoke freely from the heart as to what I felt when I saw the drama in the space.   




No comments:

Post a Comment