Sunday, October 16, 2011

Identity of a Museum

Where do we begin at the GHM?  The project is huge.  Up until now, we have just stuck our big toe into the water and splashed around a bit.  We addressed some linear aspects to the design, focusing on a new desk design, but really have not jumped in with a big splash.  That is until this past week.  Patrick really focused our group's attention with giving us a homework assignment to come up with some identity images for the GHM with respect to "Gate City," "RailRoad," and "Textiles".  This task gave us a quantum leap into the project.  We rejuvenated ourselves with a flow of ideas all inter-clicking together at once.

Over fall break, I learned Rhino, just the basics.  It takes practice.  Lindsay did a great conceptual sketch that I am inputting into Rhino.  Haven't figured out how to do stairs, but it will come to me.  
We all want to do our best for the GHM

Initially we started our project addressing color, materials and texture.  Until we came up with an identity for the museum flowing into a concept, the material were flat on their own.  We sort of put the cart before the horse.   Now we have to come out will the big picture, with a cherry on top.  A wow factor.  I do play it safe in design.  I look at ever project as what the customer whats and I fairly conservatively remained within those parameters.  Sometime I find that very short sighted.  To break out and be footloose.  I would like the opportunity for us to give them a design that has the possibility of being implemented. If we deviate away too much into wow-world zone, the concept might look great, but is it really great for the GHM, and their board of trustees.  Susan wanted something classic and times.   When I first walked into the GHM I saw wow, but wow with classic and timelessness.  I wanted to bring drama into the museum.  We still need to address drama.  I have an idea, but I'm afraid others in my group won't like it, so up until now I have not do so.  I think a wow factor show go into lighting.  Lighting has a great deal of power and control.  I want something dramatic when you walk in to make you head look up, to take in the vertical perspective.  I want the flooring to make a statement, with wave-finding inlays, I want a rhythm of the entrance to sing to it visitors like a fine quartet.  Not necessary music, but moments in music which evoke emotions and carries you away in a symphony climaxing to a crescendo.  So we have not found our rhythm yet, but we are looking for it.  

This blog writing will give each of us an awareness to key Principals and Elements of Design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment