Monday, October 31, 2011

This week in Stoel's Studio


This past week in Stoel's Studio we designed the prototype furniture we plan to build in the wood shop at full size. We will be using mortise and tenon joinery. My design is of a carbriole leg style end table. The carbriole leg is one of the most popular legs design, originally make popular by Chippendale furniture. This leg is cut from a 2x2 piece of wood with the curve of the leg cut out with the top section, and the wing of the leg added afterwards with dowels. This leg design intimidated me at first, but after reading the directions, it only requires a few cuts from the bandsaw, and a few molding hand tools to finish off. It's a strong sturdy leg with great rail support. A groove in the rails provides access for securing the top of the table to the base. I have not yet decided what type of wood I will be using on top. I have a few options. I can cut plywood lengths joining them together with a biscuit joint to keep level and close fitting. Then I can add a decorative wood veneer. Or my other options is a solid piece of wood for the top. This takes great care in choosing the right type of wood which will not splinter under stress. My other piece of furniture I gave carful consideration on doing was a bookcase. All of us students could us a nice bookcase, and this piece of furniture appealed to my needs. I just had a concern with being able to match up do dove tail construction of the carcass. I'll check with Matt in the shop for further assistance to complete my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment