Monday, October 17, 2011

This Week at Stoel's Studio

In Stoel's Studio this week we had a very challenging project within a short span of time. We needed to design a piece of furniture and some specified piece that will go with it, for the incubator space at the Spring Garden apartments on Campus. The concept was to create an image to bring success to a business. Original called "The Joe Trader" they want an area where students can sell items, others will buy, and serve coffee.

I've driven by this locations on several occasions. It did not appear to have any life or to be inviting. I think success starts on the outside, to see if a potential customer wants to inquire as to "what is going on over there". Looking at the hot summer sun beating down on the concrete sidewalk, just doesn't seem very inviting, so I decided to create a node, giving it some interest. Below is a bench arbor I designed to sit outside with that cup of java, or strike up a conversation in cool comfort away from the beating sun. Just behind the arbor is a garden of plants just waiting to jump upon the brand new arbor. Blue Wisterias are great at that, maybe some bean stalks, honeysuckle would smell nice walking by. In no time, it would be a thriving arbor with shady comfort. Yes I think that's a node. I would like to add some finishing touches, like a watering feature, with subtle babbling in the distance. Now I would like to sit down and take my shoes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment