Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stain Glass

Creating Stain Glass is a wonderfully relaxing hobby, and at times, if you're lucky enough, you can get paid for enjoying you work.  I took my first Stain Glass class over 20 years ago.  I had a serious break up with a boyfriend, and wanted to get out of the house to relax and focus on something else, something artistic.  This really took my mind off all my problems.  The precision and intricacies of the design keeps you mesmerized.

These day I design many transom for clients.  Most Stain Glass is filled with color, but many clients put a piece in their home often mention the works classical and timeless.  When I ask them about the colors of the rooms, they are not certain, and down the road they might want to change them anyway.  So they always want a simple design with clear glass, very understated, like; "I'm here, not too much, but I'm here."

To keep my clients happy, I like to put a bit of pizzazz into their "I'm just here glass." I subtle achieve this with the texture of the glass.  I like to start my basic pattern with splashing some key points into the design.  Of course they are clear, but they are clear bevels with prism, like a chameleon, they coral the light, play with it a little, when reflect it all around.  Next my background glass has a ripple, like water glass.  I frame the glass with bevels, then solder to patina, and I'm done.  Here are a few samples.  One day, I hope to get a commission of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment